Cavities and loose teeth are the only dental problems that affect kids. Pediatric dentists in Millis MA are urging parents to pay close attention to the many ways that children can chip or break their teeth. It is important to keep the baby teeth healthy for as long as possible, and a broken permanent tooth can sometimes be difficult to repair in a young child, so protecting the teeth at any stage is critical.
Most children chip or break teeth in one or more of the following ways:
- Chewing on hard objects or biting nails. Nail-biting is a bad habit and is a leading cause of broken or chipped teeth in both children and adults.
- Playing sports without wearing a protective mouthguard. A Protective appliance needs to be worn during practice as well as any competitive matches.
- Grinding the teeth. Teeth grinding is very common among children, but the constant stress on the teeth can cause extreme wear as well as chipping or breakage.
- Crunching on hard foods. Children should not be allowed to chew on hard food items such as ice, popcorn kernels, or hard candy.
- Crooked teeth. Teeth that are poorly aligned or severely crowded can be subjected to extreme biting forces, uneven bite patterns, and are more likely to chip or break accidentally.
- Poor oral hygiene. Cavities can spread quickly inside of a tooth and undermine the strength of the enamel. Children should be encouraged to take care of their teeth to avoid tooth decay from an early age.
- Opening things with the teeth. The teeth are not tools, and children should be cautioned against using their teeth to open packages, remove bottle tops, or loosen toys.
If your child has chipped a tooth or complains of dental pain, contact a Millis MA pediatric dentist for an appointment today.